Thursday, July 14, 2011

And the worst parent award goes to...

ME!

Owen had his first field trip to the E.R. today. 


Does anyone put their babies on the counter or table while they're in their Bumbo even though everything you can possibly read tells you not to?  Even if you haven't ever read anything that tells you not to, it's common sense right?  Well, good for you if you don't.  But I do as long as I'm close by just in case he were to squirm and something were to happen.  I put him there while I do the dishes or when I'm cooking.  I give him some toys to play with.  He likes it.  Loves being up high so he can see everything. 

Well, this morning I had him on the counter in his Bumbo while I did the dishes from breakfast and I gave him some spoons to play with.  He dropped a spoon and it landed on the kitchen floor (which is tile by the way).  He decided to go after that spoon.  Yep, he launched himself out of the Bumbo onto the floor.  Ouch.  He was screaming of course.  Wouldn't you?  I immediately broke down and started crying along with him.  I called Mark and had him call Owen's Dr. (there was no way I was going to be able to hear anything with Owen screaming).  Dr. told Mark that there was probably nothing wrong with him, but to take him to the  emergency room just in case.  I got Owen in the car and we met Mark at the hospital.  By the time we got there Owen was smiling and laughing at everyone that looked at him while I'm still crying.  Not because I thought there was something wrong with him (because he definitely lets you know if something is wrong), but because I felt like the worst parent ever.  So the doctor finally came to check on Owen.  He walked in saw him smiling and said he's fine.  And that was it.  

So obviously I wont be putting Owen on the counter anymore.  

5 comments:

Cori said...

Shalon - All moms know exactly how you felt today. It has happened to all of us at one time or another -especially feeling like we deserve the worst mommy award when all we're trying to do is be the best mommy ever! Being a mom is hard hard work!! Don't beat yourself up about it anymore. You are a wonderful mom and Owen is so lucky to have such a loving, fun mommy! I am so glad that our dear Owen is fine and I am so sorry that it happened to both of you today....sending my love to you all!

Unknown said...

When Landon was a baby I didn't latch him correctly in the high chair at my parents and he fell out face first onto the tile. He was bleeding everywhere and I was sobbing. I called my mom and the doctor and they told me he was fine. Everyone has had that moment. I just feel horrible for the parents who it does not end well for. Stay strong!

Clint and Meg said...

Shalon-
I did the exact same thing with Parker. Bumbo on the counter, toy falls, baby goes after toy. Seriously, exact same. We bought a high chair the next day! So don't feel bad because you are definately not alone. And he won't remember it in a few days anyway!

The Kelly Family said...

I drop my kids on the floor all the time on purpose. Hardens them up real good and teaches them to be tough.

-Ryan

Katie & James Shannon said...

My friend had this exact thing happen last year and she had wood floors but he did some damage (his head was huge), but I am had kids fall down the stairs off the changing table!! And lots of other things, but the first time is the worst, unfortunately you will get used to it cause it happens so often. Poor guy luckily he is okay and hopefully you are too!